Game of Thrones – George R Martin
I appear to be behind the times on this ‘cult’ offering,
probably because I do not subscribe to Sky TV.
However, having been brought up to speed by watching some of the TV
episodes, I decided I wanted to read the book.
As a fantasy fiction reader, I am quite surprised that these
books haven’t come my way before, I wish they had. I am not a great fan of reading books that
have been made into movies or TV series, after watching them. Somehow it takes the edge off building my own
pictures. To me, part of the enjoyment
of reading is that escapism into the world you create with the author. Once you have seen the characters, heard
their voices, seen the settings, that special relationship is skewed.
I watched half of the episodes before reading the book, and
I must say the TV does seem quite true to the text – I could hear the words in
my head as Sean Bean said them!
Inevitably there are comparisons to be made between the two, but I definitely
want to read the next book before watching the next series.
So, taking the first book in the series, which is actually
called A Song of Fire and Ice: Game of Thrones.
This is the kind of book that is often described as a huge, sweeping
novel. There are lots of interesting characters with quite complex
relationships. The way that each chapter
is written from the perspective of one of those characters makes it engrossing,
and often has the effect of changing your perception about those characters as
you read on. First you don’t like them,
then you do. The setting is one of
fantasy, although a lot of it seems to be based in a fairly medieval society,
with castles, knights, tournaments and battles on horseback.
If you enjoy fantasy fiction, and are prepared to settle
into a long series of books, then I would definitely recommend it. I can’t wait to get stuck into the next book:
A Clash of Kings.
No comments:
Post a Comment